Bid farewell to that basic roast chicken recipe! This month, we're spicing up our dinner game with Popolo's signature roasted spatchcock...
1 Spatchcock butterflied
20ml olive oil
1 garlic cloves
1tsp mix spices
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 lemon juice and zest
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the olive oil, salt, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, hot spices, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Carefully separate the skin from the breast meat with your fingers and smear half the mixture over the meat and skin. Flip the bird over and rub it with the rest of the seasoning.
- Place the chicken in a plastic bag and vacuum seal. Using the steam setting at 68 degrees on a combi oven, sous vide the bird for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Cool immediately in cold ice water.
- Place a large ovenproof skillet (such as cast iron) over medium-high heat until very hot. Coat the pan with a little oil.
- Put the bird in the pan, skin side down. Cook 1-2 minutes, until the skin is a dark golden brown.
- Then gently turn the bird over with tongs, so you don’t tear into the delicious, crisp skin. Slice the lemon in half and place it flesh side down in the pan.
- Transfer to the oven to finish cooking, for about 8 more minutes. The legs should wiggle freely, and the juices run clear. Cool the chicken for 5 minutes, then serve with the chargrilled lemon slice, thyme and rosemary.