If you share our love for all things mac n cheese, you'll want to whip up a batch of Brooklyn Depot's crispy, cheesy MacBalls ASAP...
500g pasta elbows
5 1/2 cups of milk
200g egmont (or mozzarella)
5g onion powder
10g smoked paprika
pinch of salt
pinch of white pepper
100g self raising flour
... OR a mac n cheese packet mix, if you wish!
METHOD - MAC N CHEESE
1. Cook pasta and quickly cool with ice to prevent overcooking.
2. Heat milk in a pot and bring to the boil.
3. Cut (or grate) cheddar and Egmont into small pieces and add into the milk. Stir until combined.
4. Add parmesan and spices, stir.
5. Melt butter in a small separate pot. Then add flour slowly whilst whisking to achieve a thick consistency.
6. When cheeses have melted, remove from stove and slowly blend in the butter / flour mix to achieve a cheese sauce consistency.
7. Check seasoning and then cool the mix. When both the pasta and sauce are cool, combine the two.
METHOD - MACBALLS
1. Separate your Mac n cheese mix into 40g portions.
2. Fill a large bowl or tray with panko bread crumbs.
3. Form your Mac n cheese portions into a ball using the palms of your hands by rolling between.
4. Roll your Mac n cheese balls in the panic bread crumbs until fully coated.
5. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and place in the fridge for approximately 1 hour.
6. Finish by cooking in your appliance of choice; an air fryer, shallow fried in oil, or oven baked, until the crumbs are golden brown.
7. Serve with your choice of sauce (ours is our depot sauce, but that’s a secret for another time!) and garnish with parsley.