Warm up this winter with Embers succulent roasted pork belly! Paired with a buttery cauliflower puree, cider sauce and simple salad, you've got to give this recipe a try...
500g pork belly
1L chicken stock
canola spray oil
1/4 head of cauliflower
300ml – 500ml milk
2 cloves garlic
1 bottle of cider
Sauerkraut (the Embers team proudly use the Kehoe’s Kitchen products for this)
- Score the pork belly, apply some canola oil to the skin and an even layer of salt, set aside for 24 hours if you can.
- 24 hours later, remove the salt and spray skin with canola oil, place the pork belly in a high side tray and add the stock just below the skin so it stays dry.
- Place the pork into a hot oven (250 degrees Celsius) and cook for about 45 minutes or until skin is crispy all over.
- Once pork belly is cooked, remove the belly from the stock, keep the stock for the sauce. Place between two pieces of baking paper and place something heavy on top and allow to cool in the fridge.
- Finely dice the onion and 1 clove of garlic, then sweat in a small pot with a pinch of salt.
- Deglaze the pot with the bottle of cider. Add the whole bottle and reduce the liquid by 2/3.
- Add the stock from the pork belly and reduce to a sauce consistency.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower. Add to pan with 1 clove of garlic and milk to cover.
- Simmer on a low heat until soft.
- Strain off the milk and place the cauliflower, garlic and butter in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Prepare a small salad to your liking.
- Remove the cold pork belly from the fridge and trim the pieces to size.
- Pre heat a fry pan and place the pork belly skin side down in the pan with oil as deep as the thickness of the skin.
- Cut the apple in half and add to the pan with the pork belly presentation side down.
- Place the pan into a pre heated oven at 180 degrees. Will take about 10 min to heat the belly, keep an eye on the apple not to burn.
- Whilst the pork belly is re heating prepare your ingredients for plating.
- Arrange the components on the plate starting with the puree, Kehoe’s kitchen sauerkraut, salad.
- When the pork belly is ready remove from the pan and place the pork skin side up on the place and lean the apple against it.
- Finish the dish with some cider sauce and serve.